Tuesday 9 September 2014

September: New Music

This is a post I've been working on since I started this blog. I'm aiming to make monthly music posts, as I explained in this post.

Let's just get straight into it.

Honey Blood.

An indie duo from Glasgow that I discovered about a week ago. I don't quite know how to describe them, but their song 'Biro' makes me feel like I should be standing in a field in the middle of October, throwing leaves into the air, wearing dark lipstick and just being an all round autumn-indie clichĂ©.
Biro is a song I've really connected to recently, and iTunes tells me I've listened to this song over 40 times since l last week.
"All the pain you've been through will be the making of you."
A line from this song that if I were to get song lyrics tattooed to my body, would be a very high contender.
"All Dragged Up", "Bud" and "Choker" are also some favourites.

White Lies.

I'm in love with this band. For a while, I've been trying to get one of my best friends Hilary to listen to these guys because I knew they'd be right up her street. And I'm glad to say, that she loved them. She said they remind her of Joy Devision, but for me, they remind me a lot of the film Donnie Darko. And yes, I know, Joy Devision are on the soundtrack for that film, but they also remind me of "The Killing Moon" by Echo & The Bunnymen. I'll be honest, I'm not sure why - they only sound slightly similar. I think it's the lead singer's sultry voice from White Lies. I just feel like I should be stargazing whenever I hear them. I've been listening to them a lot at work recently because the day seems to go a lot faster, My favourite track is "Getting Even" from their album "Big TV."
You should also listen to "Farewell To The Fairground", "Death" and "First Time Caller".

In The Valley Below.

I'll admit it. This is a very poorly researched band. I downloaded one track, fell in love with it, and put exploring their back catalogue onto my list of things to do when I have the time. Until then, I really recommend you listen to the track "Peaches" and forgive me for not looking a little closer at this amazing LA based duo (see, you can forgive me, I did a little research).

Klangkarussell.

Time for something completely different. A pair of Austrian guys making electronic music who have been keeping me awake during early mornings. "Moments" is quite possibly my favourite of their tracks. They've been making me feel quite relaxed and fresh. Another one I can't quite explain. Just give them a listen. I'm positive you'll like them.
If you like that, "Berlin", "All Eyes On You" and "Symmetry" are also very good.

2 comments:

  1. I've actually heard about White Lies the first time when I saw them live at a festival this summer!!
    I watched them play their whole set in the pouring rain and fell in love with their music. They were so happy and grateful that everyone was watching them although it was raining so much it was really adorable!!!
    I'll check out the other bands as well!!! :)
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see White Lies live! I'm seeing Darlia at the end of this month. I had mentioned them in a previous post about music, but I'd really suggest giving them a listen, as well as Wolf Alice. :)
      Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

      Delete